Guidelines for expressions of interest in the High Performance Working Initiative
Thank you for your interest in applying to be a High Performance Working Partner in the Government’s High Performance Working Initiative. In order to apply you will first need to submit a brief written Expression of Interest (EOI). These guidelines will help you with that process.
Your EOI will allow the Department of Labour to make a preliminary assessment of the overall merits of your project idea.
If you need help with deciding what information to include in your EOI, or have any questions, please email HPW@dol.govt.nz or phone on 04 915 6259.
Information requirements - Expressions of Interest
This section will help you to decide what information to include in your EOI. Please organise your EOI under the headings in this section (as a guide, your EOI might be 2-5 pages long).
Provide information that demonstrates your organisation’s capability, understanding of and commitment to High Performance Work (HPW), and the quality of your connections with your members or the industry/sector group that your project idea is intended for.
The information that will be relevant includes:
- your track record that supports your capability to implement and sustain your idea – for example length of operation, major achievements and projects with or supported by government
- your resource base - for example, how many staff do you employ, what is your approximate annual income?
- your strategic priorities and high level objectives, in particular those that relate to your commitment to HPW
- how your HPW idea aligns with those priorities and objectives
- your membership base – how many member firms do you have and in what industries? What proportion of firms in the industry are members of your organisation?
- what are your main methods of interaction with your member firms in order to build and maintain connections?
You can include your organisation’s constitution, strategic plans and similar documents, and information about previous projects (including referees) in support of your EOI if you wish.
Provide information that demonstrates the clear focus and strategic alignment of your project idea.
The information that will be relevant includes statements about:
- the objectives and desired outcomes of the project, highlighting key elements
factors likely to determine the success of the project
- the importance and relevance of the proposed project to your industry/member firms
- a preliminary indication of what you expect will be achieved within individual firms that participate in the project
- a preliminary indication of how you will measure outcomes (quality/success criteria).
You can include your strategic plans and any indications of support from your member firms if you wish.
The information asked for in this section is an indication of your initial thinking about aspects of your idea only, and we accept that it would be modified or developed further in a project proposal should your idea be accepted for further development.
- what is the name and area(s) of expertise of the preferred consultant you would use to deliver the project within firms?
- an indicative timeline and milestones (in outline)
- proposed governance arrangements (who will oversee and guide the project)
- a contact person, for liaison with the Department
Selection of firms
- how many firms do you propose will participate in the project?
- what type of firms will you target, and on what basis (relative to the strategic issues above)?
An indicative budget, broken down between:
- direct support to be provided to firms (estimated as cost per firm times number of firms); and
- indirect costs of project management
- a preliminary statement about the level of co-funding that you will seek from participating firms, and the timing and basis for this.
Follow up activities
Your ideas about activities and opportunities that might be appropriate in the industry to follow-on at the end of the project.
Please note that by submitting an Expression of Interest you authorise:
- the Department of Labour to seek information from other government organisations (including NZ Trade and Enterprise); and
- those government organisations to disclose information to the Department of Labour about your organisation, and any of your subcontractors or agents identified in your Expression of Interest, for the sole purpose of the High Performance Working Initiative project.
You must ensure that those agents or subcontractors identified in your EOI have agreed to this authorisation.
Submitting your EOI
Send your EOI to HPW@dol.govt.nz, or post to:
Department of Labour
Level 7 Solnet House
70 The Terrace
PO Box 3705