This section brings together basic information about the rights and obligations of employees, employers and self-employed people in respect of parental leave. It contains the current parental leave entitlements, featuring statutory paid parental leave for birth mothers, their partners as well as adoptive parents.
Who needs this information?
- Both employers and employees who want to know what they can and cannot do, as well as the things they have to do, in relation to paid parental leave
- Birth mothers & partners who want to know what their entitlement to parental leave is and what payment they can expect while on leave
- Adoptive parents who are adopting a child under the age of 6 years
- Anyone who needs to know what minimum employment conditions apply in New Zealand.
- Self-employed parents who want to know what they can and cannot do, as well as the things they have to do, in relation to paid parental leave