What is mediation
Mediation is a process whereby parties are assisted to resolve a problem between them by an independent, impartial third party in a confidential forum. The mediator has the role of encouraging those with a problem to explain what has occurred, to discuss the pros and cons of the difference that has arisen, and to come to a resolution that is satisfactory to both parties.
A range of activities can be described as mediation services. These include:
- email and telephone exchanges
- workplace discussions
- education activities
- mediation meetings.
The following sections discuss:
- issues referred to mediation
- the role and duties of the mediator
- typical mediation activities
- ways to make mediation work effectively for you