When offering the employee the job, the employer must inform the employee:
- if there is a collective agreement covering the employee’s work
- of the employee’s right to join the union and how to contact the union
- that, if the employee joins the union, the collective agreement will bind the employee
- that if the employee does not join the union, the employee’s terms and conditions are those in the collective agreement for the first 30 days along with any agreed additional or better terms.
The employer must also:
- give the employee a copy of any collective agreement
- if the employee agrees, promptly inform the union that the employee has commenced work