||Proposed interview questions
- Thank you for supporting the project. Did you receive the background documentation and are you familiar with scope of the project and what we are trying to achieve?
|1. Demographic information
- What are the details of the company-size, workforce, products etc?
- How many Pacific workers (PWs) are employed here?o What is the nature and range of the work they carry out?o Are they often employed in particular occupations?o What is the nature of those occupations?
- What is your range of responsibilities?
- Is this a unionised workplace? How strong is the union influence?
|2. H & S climate
- Can you tell me about management and employee attitudes and approaches to H&S in your company?
- Do stereotypes exist among the workers with regards to H&S? What are these stereotypes?
- When you compare the attitudes to H&S of your employees with those of other companies you come across, do you think they are similar or different? If different, in what way?
|3. H & S organisation
- How is H&S organised in this company?o What are the formal tools and practices you employ?
- Besides the formal processes, are there informal ways worker and employer concerns are raised? How important are these informal processes? Do PWs utilise these informal channels?
- In your experience do workers 'see a problem and fix it' without triggering formal activity or are they fairly relaxed about, or tend to ignore, potential H&S issues?
- What is the value of H&S related signage in the workplace? What sort of impact does it have on employees? What aspects of the signage are the most important and 'attention-grabbing'?
- Is the signage in your workplace written in the languages of your employees? Is this necessary?
- Do employees get blasé about signage that has been in place for some time? How do you counter this?
|4. Pacific workers
- What is the workplace accident record? What are the most common forms of H & S issues?
- What is your experience with PWs? Do they have more accidents than other groups? What are the most common reasons why the PW accident record is as it is? Do PWs approach H & S differently from other ethnic groups? How?
- Can you tell me about a typical H & S situation involving a PW.
- Do you find that Pacific employees are more or less outspoken about their H & S concerns compared with other groups of employees? What do you think are the reasons for this?
- Do you think that workers report all accidents? What sort or severity of injury might go unreported? What are your thoughts about PWs and potential or actual under-reporting? Is accident or injury reporting behaviour age related? Do PWs differ from the norm? How?
- What sort of changes, if any, to the PW approach to H & S and reporting of accidents can be related to the length of time the worker has lived in NZ?
- What factors lead a PW to become a workplace leader on H & S?
- How important is worker literacy and numeracy in the prevention of H & S incidents? Is this a particular issue for PI workers? If so, why? If not, why not?
|5. Message transmission
- How do you think your company can best act to reduce the incidence of PW H & S issues?
- What advice can you give about the best way to target different groups of workers, and particularly PWs, on H & S matters?
- How successful are current initiatives to improve PW H & S?
- Will your PWs act on material pinned up on the notice board or discussed at a workplace meeting? Do they need work-related training specifically directed to each individual (or small groups of individuals)?
- Are there approaches or initiatives the government can or should take to help bring down the rate of PW H & S incidents?