Home > Online Tools > FAQ Knowledgebase > Earthquake - cannot work and no income left

Earthquake - cannot work and no income left

What if i cannot work and have no paid leave options left?

Employees who are unable to work because their workplace is closed due to the earthquake and – as a result – find themselves struggling financially, may be able to apply to Work and Income for assistance.

You can view our information on Problem Solving or contact the Department on 0800 20 90 20.

There may be financial assistance that Work and Income can offer in hardship circumstances, including recently announced support for small businesses and their employees. Work and Income can be contacted on 0800 779 997.

This advice is given as a guide.   Employees and employers are advised to seek their own advice depending upon the circumstances they face.

Download a PDF version.

Date Modified: Thursday, 31 March 2011

Disclaimer: The content on this website covers common problems. It will not answer every question and should not be used as a substitute for legislation or legal advice.State sector employers and employees may be affected by some differences in the laws that apply to them (e.g. State Sector Act 1988).The Department of Labour takes no responsibility for the results of any actions taken on the basis of information on this website, nor for any errors or omissions.

Copyright | Official information | Privacy